Amazon Rainforest is the world's greatest and biggest rainforest ever. You will undoubtedly find thousands of different living things in the rainforest. However, being the world's most bio-diverse and the home to the world's largest or second largest river, there is much more about the Amazon Rainforest.
Other than the normal history and facts about the rainforest, today we will discuss some of the most interesting facts that you may not have heard before. Some may amaze you, and some facts may leave you confused. Well, it is on you how to perceive it.
Being such a diverse rainforest, there are facts about various things. So let's get started with the list of interesting facts we have ready here.
Interesting Facts about the Amazon River
- This may amaze you, but the real and official length of the Amazon River is not decided yet. Yes, it should be done by now, but there has been a dispute at its original length for some time now. The survey done by the U.S Geological has measured a length of 4000 miles, making it the second-largest river in the world. On the other hand, many other surveys have recorded a length of 4,345 miles, making it the longest river in the world.
- The Amazon River itself contains 20% of the water of all the rivers in the world.
- The width of the river keeps on changing depending on the season
Facts about the Animals in Amazon
- Being the world's biggest rainforest, there is no doubt that there would be uncountable species of various animals. Peru itself is a haven for the third-largest number of mammals ever.
- In the deep Amazon River, you can also glimpse the pale pink body dolphins.
- Due to illegal hunting and poaching, the number of jaguars is decreasing. Otherwise, it is the world's largest stronghold of jaguars.
- You can find around 150 different species of monkeys. Yes, you heard us right. You may lose the count while looking at different species of monkeys in the Amazon.
Birds and Amphibians of the Amazon
- There are more than 1.500 species of various Amphibians that you can find in the Amazon.
- Only frogs there are more than 80 species.
- There have been 1,800 species of birds recorded in the rainforest, and it is a perfect place for bird watching and enjoying nature.
Facts about the Insect of Amazon
- Insects do rule the Amazon. In the entire rainforest, you can find around 30 million species of insects. Research suggests that in every acre of the Amazon, you can find 70,000 species of insects.
The Amazon Rainforest is the perfect place if you are looking to do a documentary on every type of animal. However, deforestation in the region is the biggest threat that may lead to the loss of many animals.
If you are a wildlife photographer, the Amazon rainforest might already be the dream place you want to visit at least once in your life.