9 Unique Facts About Saliva


Did you know that saliva is one of the most important substances in your body? It helps keep your teeth clean and healthy, it aids in digestion, and it even helps protect you from infection. In this blog post, we will discuss 9 unique facts about saliva that you may not have known!

You Produce 1 or 2 Liters of Saliva Every Day

The average person produces anywhere from one to two liters of saliva every day! This may seem like a lot, but it is actually necessary in order to keep your mouth healthy and free from bacteria.

Your Saliva Is Made Up Of 99.0% Water

Despite its many important functions, saliva is mostly made up of water – 99% to be exact. The other 1% is made up of electrolytes, mucus, enzymes, and proteins.

You Have Three Pairs of Saliva Glands in a Human Being’s Mouth

There are 3 pairs of saliva glands in your mouth: the sublingual glands, the submandibular glands, and the parotid glands. Each of these glands produces a different type of saliva, which serves a different purpose.

  • Parotid Gland Saliva: This saliva is the most watery and helps to lubricate your mouth.
  • Submandibular Gland Saliva: This saliva is thicker and contains more proteins, which help to protect your teeth from bacteria.
  • Sublingual Gland Saliva: This saliva is also thicker and contains more enzymes, which help to break down food.

Your Saliva Production Can Change Based On Your Posture

Did you know that the way you sit or stand can affect your saliva production? When you are upright, your saliva glands are more stimulated and produce more saliva. This is why you may have noticed that you produce more saliva when you are standing up than when you are lying down.

It Helps With the Digestion of Your Food

Your saliva contains enzymes that help to break down carbohydrates and fats, which makes it easier for your body to digest food. In fact, saliva is so important for digestion that people who have trouble producing saliva often have difficulty digesting food as well.

Saliva Protects Your Teeth and Gum

Your saliva contains antibodies that help to fight against bacteria and viruses. It also helps to remove food particles from your teeth, which reduces your risk of tooth decay and gum disease.

Stress Can Also Affect Your Saliva Production Rate

When you are stressed, your body produces less saliva. This can lead to a dry mouth, which can increase your risk of tooth decay and gum disease.

You Can Also Have Too Much Saliva

While a dry mouth can be a problem, too much saliva can also be an issue. If you produce more than three liters of saliva per day, you may have a condition known as hyper salivation. This can be caused by certain medications, anxiety, or even pregnancy. If you produce too much saliva, it can actually start to interfere with your everyday life. It can make it difficult to speak and swallow.

It Can Help To Keep Your Breath Fresh

Saliva actually helps to keep your breath fresh! It does this by breaking down the food particles that can cause bad breath. It can also help to remove bacteria from your teeth and gums that can cause bad breath.

So there you have it! These are just a few of the many unique facts about saliva. We hope you found this blog post interesting and informative!