The study of aging is termed Gerontology. In this article, we will look at some important facts about Gerontology. Let's get started!
- Senescence is the name given to decrease biological activities and the ability to change metabolic stress.
- Man begins to grow old when he reaches puberty - at about 25 years of age.
- Organ degeneration with age is partly due to the loss of cells from these organs because the cells cannot replicate fast enough to replenish themselves.
- Organ degeneration with age is partly because of the loss of cells from these organs, as the cells cannot reproduce fast enough to replenish themselves.
- From 65 to 74 years, a quarter of Americans are categorized as blind. And about half of them are deaf.
- As age increases, the size of the pupil decreases, which makes it difficult to see.
- With age, it becomes challenging to shift the focus of your eye between distant and near objects. Gerontology calls this presbyopia.
- With increased age, a person's visual perception in the dark decreases.
- Older people cannot hear high-frequency sounds. The hearing capacity of a young man is a sound of frequency 20,000 cycles per second, while a 65-year-old person can't listen to a voice of frequency 10,000 cycles per second.
- As we grow old, our taste buds don't regenerate; they die.
- Some scientific studies have shown that after 70 years, the pain sensitivity decreases slightly.
- As people grow older, their skin starts to lose its elasticity.
- Bones become calcium deficient as they age; it makes them weak and prone to breakage.
- Osteoporosis is a disease that affects minerals and calcium levels in bones; it is common in women compared to men.
- As the body ages, it becomes hard to breathe because there is a decrease in the amount of air stored in the lungs.
- Smoking increases the lifespan of your lungs. In medical studies, the lungs of smokers seem to be 10-15 years older than the lungs of their peers who did not smoke.
- People who regularly do exercise rarely have chances of cardiovascular diseases with age.
- The heat rate of younger people increases to about 200 per minute while older adults' heart rate increases to 150.
- At the age of 65, most people die of heart diseases because the ability of the heart to function properly decreases with growing age.
- The blood amount pumped into your heart lessens about 50% by the age of 90.
- There is a decrease in sexual intercourse with increasing age.
- Progeria is a disease that shows signs of premature aging. Children suffering from Progeria have thin skin, have less hair, undergo muscle fatigue, etc. Most people die of heart disease before they reach puberty.
- Older people need plenty of time to memorize, understand and learn new things.
People don't like to grow old, but they want to change. Living the same life is a kind of death.